Wonder Woman, Y U SO ANGRY?

Wednesday, May 18, 2011


Crossover events aren't very kind on Wonder Woman. Or really, Wonder Woman isn't really kind in crossover events. There was the 6-issue Amazons Attack, that attacked Wonder Woman's mother and sister amazons storm Washington DC and murder any man in site (adult or child), and attempt to kill the president. I know, but trust me, someone actually wrote this. In Infinite Crisis, she snapped Max Lord's neck, killing him.

In DC's current game-changing crossover, Flashpoint, Wonder Woman and the amazons have taken over England through some sort of violent rampage. The idea of Flashpoint similar to that of Elseworlds - showing DC character of another universe, usually in a very different light. The big "hook," is that Flashpoint takes place in the primary DC Universe. So although one could consider the Flashpoint Wonder Woman has another version of the character, the current trend that Wonder Woman's writing has been taking proves otherwise.

The solicit for Flashpoint: Wonder Woman and the Furies #2/3 - "How many must die to avenge Queen Hippolyta’s death and satiate Diana’s fury?"


In the current Wonder Woman arc, Odyssey (laid out by JMS), WW has a rehashed origin story, and has a noticeably different personality. The Odyssy WW is often bitter, angry, and unless I've misinterpreted some of the panels, she's not afraid to take a few lives either.

After a test screening of the Wonder Woman pilot for NBC (which was recently passed on), many descirbed the violence as "over-the-top," and that "Wonder Woman would kill people without even blinking an eye.” (Source)

For new readers, none of these examples of fair representations of Wonder Woman's character. Here are a few quotes from Gail Simone on WW and woman are written.

"I think it’s okay for Wonder Woman to be angry. When I wrote her, I tried to show her compassion, even in fury. But I had a secret key in my brain…she’s never angry on her own behalf. Slap her in the face, she will laugh at you. Harm an innocent, she will make you regret the day you came out of the womb.

That works for me. When I write the selfless heroes, Superman, Wonder Woman, and my own view of Batman, I don’t like to see them fight for selfish reasons. When I wish the world had superheroes, it’s not for them to fight pointlessly and bicker endlessly. It’s not to stop bank robberies.

It’s to fight things that are unjust, to stand up for people who are being bullied and victimized.

In that case, I think it’s okay for her to knock someone down. What makes Diana different is that she immediately extends her hand to help them back up. That is the KEY of why I love her so much."
(Source)

"It’s absolutely true, and some writers, their shorthand for a strong woman is a bitchy, angry woman, usually one who hates men, and yawn, I’m sorry, wake me when it’s not 1974." (Source)

For those interested in jumping into WW comics, I recomend starting out with Greg Rucka's and Gail Simone's runs.

0 comments:

Post a Comment