Free Comic Book Day @ Madness Comic & Games Plano

Tuesday, May 17, 2011


Two Saturdays ago, May 7th, comics shops all over the country offered free comic books and sales to bring in crazy amount of fans. For FCBD, I headed out to my local comic shop, Madness Comics & Games. Luckily, a video game store next door called FX Game Exchange was also hosting an event called Free Video Game Day, so there were enough reasons to convince my roommates to join me. Although the store opened at 10, I thought getting there at 12 was still early enough to face some modest lines. I'm wrong a lot.

Madness Comics has been my LCS for about 2 years now, and I had never seen it so crowded. I had to park at a Wendy's because the usually huge and empty parking lot was filled with cars. Fortunately, nothing could dampen my spirits, so I enjoyed the long walk with a annoyingly jubilant pace. My indestructible smile was not contagious among my friends, but that's okay, because they are stupid (Immaturity is allowed on FCBD).

Before walking in, I saw the only cosplay of the day. Harley Quinn. And it was perfect! Kudos to that girl that I was too scared to talk to (she was carrying Harley's hammer). The line inside as long as [comic-related simile]. Whew. So you know, super long. I picked up Super Dinosaur, Robert Kirkman's new comic, the Green Lantern Special, Captain America & Thor, Amazing Spider-Man, and some other forgettable on that I can't remember.

Overall the comics were disappointing, but they were free, and the free comic books aren't really the point of FCBD anyways. The whole point is to get more people to come and spend money at their LCS thanks to all the sales and free goodies. So I bought some things! I picked up Bird of Prey 103-107 to complete my collection of every comics featuring the Secret Six.

Madness Comic & Games also gave out some free food, had a local artist drawing commissions, and a buy two get on free sale. Although I can't review Free Comic Book Day as a whole (Yes I can, it was awesome everywhere), it's safe to say that I had a great day at my LCS. The sale, local businesses that helped out, and the overall amount of people who attended made FCBD at Madness an event that I look forward to attending again next year.

0 comments:

Post a Comment